Proud to be Union
The Electrical Trades Union of Australia delivers for our members. We raises wages, improve conditions, promote safety and create social justice. We use our collective strength to achieve industrial, political and social results.
The work we do will leave a strong legacy for future generations of working people and the broader Australian community.
We deliver by:
- Improving working conditions and defending rights of electrical workers
- Maintaining an empowered, organised and connected membership throughout the country;
- Forging strong bonds with like-minded organisations; and
- Engaging and campaigning at all levels of society, from the grassroots to parliament, on issues that matter.
- Accountable to members;
- Open, democratic and representative; and
- Determined to act in our members' interests.
Delegates (sometimes called shop stewards) are your union representatives on the shop floor and are:
- Directly appointed by a State Branch (Electrical Division Rules 30.1); or
- Elected by a ballot of financial members in a workplace (Electrical Division Rules 30.1.3), where there are 4 or more financial members employed at a workplace.
The duties of the delegates shall be to:
- act as a representative of the union on a work site;
- recruiting new members;
- report industrial conditions and claims of members to the ETU offices;
- notify the ETU office of arrival or departure of members and any change of address of members; and
- in some instances receive members contributions on behalf of a ETU branch and ensure that all members are financial.
An OH&S representative is your union spokesperon on all matters regarding Occupational Health and Safety on the shop floor. Like delegates, OH&S representative can be appointed directly by a State Branch (rule 30.1.1) or where there is one or more members employed on a worksite an OH&S representative may be elected by a ballot of financial members (rule 30.1.4).
The duties of the OH&S representative shall be to:
- represent members on matters relating to OH&S in a workplace;
- report to and consult with the ETU Branch Secretary, the delegate and members on all matters relating to OH&S; and
- take such action as deemed necessary to achieve a safe working environment for members.
Please note OH&S representatives also have rights under Occupational Health and Safety legislation. Pleae check wth your State Branch or the National Office for further information.
Every ETU member is part of a state branch. The branches are: