This alert has been generated to ensure that all sites in Australia are aware of the risks associated with switch rooms supplied by a South Australian manufacturer, Robin Johnson Engineering Pty Ltd, which contain imported cement floor sheeting that contains asbestos. The Electrical Trades Union has been informed that there are 64 of these buildings across Australia.
Regulation 4.3.16 of Part 4.3-Asbestos of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007 prohibits the use of asbestos containing material. In this instance the prohibition applies to both:
- The handling of building materials for the manufacture of an item (in this case the handling of the asbestos containing flooring material in the manufacture of the transportable switch room); AND
- The actual use of the transportable switch rooms that contain asbestos (where the asbestos containing item has been installed after December 31, 2003)
Hence the use of the transportable switch rooms (as per b) above) is a breach of the above-mentioned prohibition regulation.
1. Calls upon all employers and safety regulators to conduct immediate safety audits in all workplaces where these switch rooms have been installed; AND
2. Calls upon each branch of the ETU to advise members to cease work on Robin Johnson Engineering Pty Ltd switch rooms and conduct rigorous & thorough risk assessments and ensure appropriate control measures are implemented to eliminate risks to themselves or others AND
3. Calls upon all other State/Territory safety regulators to implement immediate resources to help identify locations and make these switch rooms safe.
For Further information contact your designated Health & Safety Representative or your local organiser.
AUTHORISED BY ALLEN HICKS, NATIONAL SECRETARY ETU